Public Relations Pollution: An Inconvenient (PR) Truth
A campaign has been launched to reduce the billions of press release emails being sent each year by the PR Industry to journalists, bloggers and publishers for whom they are irrelevant. The analysis is based on surveys carried out between 23rd November 2009 and 16th December 2009 by RealWire.
- 1.7 billion irrelevant press release emails estimated to be received in total each year by UK and US Journalists alone
- 78% of press release emails are received by Recipients to whom they are irrelevant
- 55% of Recipients have taken action to block a sender of news
- 54 is the average number of press releases received by each Recipient per day
- 57% of Recipients suffer a level of irrelevant press releases of 80% or more
- 23% of Recipients suffer a level of irrelevant press releases of 96% or more
- Levels of irrelevant press releases are similar on average no matter how many releases received per day
- 18% of Recipients receive 100 or more releases per day and receive 55% of the total irrelevant emails that are sent
- Acceptable levels of irrelevant press releases differ significantly amongst Recipients with almost as many considering 90% acceptable as zero %
Visit inconvenientprtruth.com to learn more.
[via Stephen Davies]